Monday 23 November 2015

How to Make Bacon Ham Hash


What?
What's a "hash"?



Basically it's what you call taking items from your pantry,
some meat and cooking them all together.
If this were an Asian version you'd likely call it stir fry.
So I suppose you could call it "potato stir fry".
But we just call it "hash".


And boy is it good!!

It's wonderfully simple and easy to adapt to whatever you have in the fridge or pantry.
This version uses ham, potatoes and leftover bacon fat!
This recipe is also fantastic for leftover chicken or turkey.
In future I'd like to experiment using leftover spaghetti noodles in place of the potatoes.
I heart experiments.
*swoon*

And I love the flavor that bacon fat adds to this dish.
Of course you can use butter or other healthier oil in place of the bacon.
But....... BACON!
Right?



I also love using bacon  fat as it is from a "free" source.
It is the leftover.  The discard.
It is usually thrown away but instead I've chose to use it!
I'm saving the planet!  Not really.
But I am saving some money.  Man, butter is expensive!
And every little bit helps!

Bacon Ham Hash
Salt, pepper and dried parsley.

Ingredients
4 medium Potatoes, cubed
1 Carrot, chopped

2 tbsp Bacon fat 
1 small Onion, chopped

1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 tbsp dried Parsley
1 cup Ham, diced



How To
1. Boil the potatoes and carrots in a medium pot of water until softened (20-25 minutes).


2. Heat bacon fat over medium heat in a large frying pan.  Saute the onion.  Add the softened potatoes and carrots, and remaining ingredients. 



Diced ham.
3. Continue cooking, flipping hash now and again, until potatoes begin to brown (Approximately 10 minutes).


Oh the smell in here!
So delicious!



And I love pairing this with some fantastic bell pepper squash.
It makes it feel fancy I think.
Of course it's a meal unto itself.  No need to add more.
This would also makes a lovely hot potluck dish.
Why am I using such beautiful words to describe a dish called "hash"?
Maybe I will start calling it "Potato stir fry".
Kinda sounds exotic. 


 Can a potato be exotic?


Happy thoughts,
Andrea


If you would like to receive regular blog updates
be sure to "Like" my Facebook homepage here:

No comments:

Post a Comment