Friday 27 November 2015

How to Make your own Pumpkin Puree

 or  "How To Cook a Pumpkin"

This is delightfully easy!



I do this every year with our pumpkins.
You can use any variety pumpkin you'd like.
Not JUST the "Pie Pumpkins" they advertise in the store.
You can cook up and eat the carving pumpkins too.
This is what we do.
They're much less expensive.
(Shhhh.... Don't tell the grocery stores I said so.)


The only difference is the taste.
And honestly they taste so similar
we don't notice the difference.

At Halloween I allow the kids to carve one pumpkin
then I let them paint the rest.
The paint is washable.
The only kind of paint to have when you have small kids!
Sadly pumpkins begin to rot once carved.
Even if your area is relatively cool through October
(as ours is in Northern Ontario)
the pumpkin needs to be kept intact until it is cooked.


Pumpkins are wonderful things!
They can store outside for months before you bake them.
It really is wonderful because my to-do list is so long in the fall,
it helps that I can ignore the pumpkins until I have a bit more time.

    
Under a blanket of snow?  Yep. Still good!
Under a duvet of snow??  Still good!!  

 Pumpkin Puree

Need
1. A pumpkin (any variety, any size)
2. Roasting pan with lid.
3. Blender, food processor, or hand blender.
4. Freezable container or freezer bags.
5. Spatula
6. Permanent marker

How To
1.  Cut the pumpkin in half.  Scoop out and remove the seeds.  The seeds can be saved, cleaned, roasted and eaten!


Pumpkin seed cluster
Scooping out the pumpkin with a spoon.

2. Place the pumpkin cut side down (skin side up) and add 1/4 cup of water.  Cover with lid.


3.  Bake in the oven at 400F for 45 minutes.


4.  Check pumpkin doneness with a fork.  It should easily pierce the flesh of the pumpkin.  If the pumpkin is still firm, bake for an additional 10 minutes.  Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool in the pan.

Before cooking.


After cooking.
5.  Carefully turn over the pumpkin.  Scoop out the cooked pumpkin (leaving the skin behind).


6. Place the cooked pumpkin into the blender or food processor or upright container if using a hand blender.  Blend cooked pumpkin until a puree consistency is reached.  I use a food processor which purees two cups of pumpkin at a time.


Before blending.
After blending.
7.  Scoop puree into freezer bags or freezable containers.  Label bags/containers with a permanent marker.  Lay flat to freeze.  I freeze my pumpkin puree into two cup portions as that is the approximate size of a can of pumpkin puree (and the amount needed for the recipes I use). 






And that's it!
That wasn't so hard.
Was it?

To thaw simply take the amount of pumpkin needed out of the freezer and leave on the counter (or in the fridge) to thaw.  You can also defrost it in the microwave.  Be sure to squeeze out any water before you use it in your baking.  I often use a sieve and a fork to squeeze out excess water.  But sometimes I create a small opening at the top of the bag and squeeze it out by hand.  I don't squeeze out any water before freezing as the extra water is needed to help create a smooth puree.



Option: If you'd like to have spiced pumpkin puree, add 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and a dash of ground nutmeg for every two cups of puree you make.  I add the spices to my puree just before I add to my baking.



Happy pumpkin puree making!

Happy thoughts,
Andrea

If you would like to receive regular blog updates
be sure to "Like" my Facebook homepage here:

No comments:

Post a Comment