Tuesday 1 March 2016

How To Freeze your Spending - The Final Week


Welcome to the weekly Spend-Freeze update.  On February 1st 2016  I posted what a Spend-Freeze is all about.  I outlined the rules we will strictly follow for the rest of the month.  The purpose is to stop our needless spending and save money. 


Week Four - The Final Week!

We did it!  We lasted four weeks (plus one day) on our Spend-Freeze!  The whole month of February!! Well, mostly.  There were a couple of bumps in the road.  A couple of cheats.  But they were minor.  We corrected ourselves, got back on track, and saved some moola.  Woohoo!  I'll share the break down of what we were able to save in a moment.  First, how did we manage in our last week?


We ran out of many things.  We ran out of juice for the kids.  We ran out of eggs, ketchup, fresh fruit (minus bananas), fresh veg (minus carrots, potatoes and squash), crackers, baby wipes and packaged snacks I use for the kid's lunches.   We came precariously close to running out of toilet paper, peanut butter and diapers (again!).  The fridge, freezer and cupboards were looking bare.


Food

Monday - Macaroni and cheese with ham and cut carrots and pickles
Tuesday - Chicken with Potato fries and Squash
Wednesday - Ham and White bean soup
Thursday - Potato soup
Friday - Pancakes with Sausage and canned fruit
Saturday - Invited over to eat with family
Sunday - Chili
Monday - Chicken with macaroni and cheese, cubed squash and carrots

Not only were we running out of food (and meal options!) but we also received results from Jackson's blood test.  He had been suffering from tummy pains for several months.  Doctors ruled out appendicitis but not the cause of the pain.  He was sent for blood and stool tests. The results showed a high intolerance for 20 different foods including wheat, oats, milk, eggs, rice, and legumes (which include peanuts).  Not to mention his pre-existing soy allergy.  This was difficult news.  Poor kid cried when I told him we needed to cut out many foods he loved.  What was I going to feed him?  Thankfully I had a few cups of dark rye flour on hand.  I was able to make him a loaf of bread and some pancakes.  He was happy again once he knew he could have pancakes.  Just two days after cutting out all intolerances he stopped complaining of tummy troubles.  We no longer needed to dose him daily with Tylenol and Advil.  And his anxieties (fear of the dark and fear of being alone) subsided too.  Though it has been trying, having answers and developing a solution were far better than the constant pain.



Shopping

In the past I worked in retail.  All forms of retail.  Including a grocery store.  I know all the tricks of merchandising products to entice customers.  These tricks are known to most of us. Yet we fall for them all the time.  I am as guilty as the next for making impulse purchases and  I knew going to the store for the first time in a month would make me more vulnerable to doing so.  Having done without for a few weeks strengthened my desire to purchase items, not dampen it as I had thought.

On my first shopping trip (this morning March 1st!) I didn't want to undo all the hard work we'd done this month.  We'd done without so we could save money.  I didn't want to "make up" for the lack of spending by going spend-crazy.  The best way to do this was to ease in.  I decided to purchase only a few items that we were out of and really needed.  I wrote out a list and stuck to the list.  I bought apples, juice, ketchup, toilet paper, more bananas, diapers, wipes and some pharmacy items.  I did impulse buy fresh strawberries and cucumbers.  I will grocery shop again on Saturday (my usual shopping day).  Overall I spent less than $50.  I hope I can maintain this level of spending control for a while yet.
  


Emotions

This last week was more emotionally difficult than I expected.  Because I felt poor.  I really had to work to plan out our meals with what we had.  I knew I couldn't go to the store.  And it made me feel poor.  This week was likely more difficult for me since I've experienced poverty before.  When I was growing up my family and I lived below the poverty line for a time.  It reminded me of those times.  Of course my current situation was created by my own limitations.  My own imposed rules.  We had money in the bank.  I had money I could spend.  This week broke my heart for those who don't.  It broke for those who are truly struggling to make it to the end of the month on the little income they have. 

I watched the documentary "Kelly and her sisters grow up" on youtube about a Mother in the UK struggling to make ends meet for herself and her kids.  I found it very insightful.  I've never had to deal with poverty that severe.

When I went to the store this morning I thought I would feel elated.  I thought I would be so very happy to be able to shop again.  Instead I felt pulled to buy as much as I could.  I felt I should stock up on anything and everything in that store.  I guess I felt as a starving person would feel if they were suddenly put in front of a buffet.  I needed it all!  I needed to take it all!  Are these survival instincts?  Is that what I was feeling?  Though I was not starving, I felt deprived and so had a strong desire to overindulge so I could bring myself back to balance.  It was a very odd feeling.  A feeling I had to work hard to keep in check.
  


Money

So how much did we save?  After all that was the point of this month.

We saved roughly $720!!

This is a rough amount because we have set our bills up for automatic payment.  That means there is money being pulled out of our account each week of the month to pay for different services (car insurances, heating bill, electricity bill, etc.).  We saved more last time we completed a Spend-Freeze because we were spending much more in a month than we do now.  I've worked hard to lower our grocery bill and other spending.

We'll use the money we saved to pay for a new bathroom.  Read this post for more details on the state of our current bathroom.



In Closing

Yes we saved money!  Yes we get a new bathroom!  It was worth doing without and sacrificing for one month to accomplish our goal.

If you are thinking of trying a Spend-Freeze, I recommend that you do!  If you're a bit nervous, try doing a one week, two week or three week Spend-Freeze first.  Ease yourself in.  I do find the best way to do something is to go all in.  Gather courage and jump in!  Pull the band-aid off in one quick motion!  You can do it!! And you'll be glad you did.

Happy thoughts,
Andrea


What will I do with all the side benefits and emotions caused by this Spend-Freeze?  I don't know.  I'll need some time to think through and contemplate all that I've felt and learned this month. Is God leading me to something?  Somewhere? I don't know.  Only He and time will tell.  God bless!



If you would like to receive regular blog updates
be sure to "Like" my Facebook homepage here:


Links

No comments:

Post a Comment